Also read letters from my 2 other Utah State representatives. SOPA and PIPA are dead in the water. We need to get ACTA next!
Stop ACTA NOW!!!
ACTA in a Nutshell –
What is ACTA? ACTA is the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement. A new intellectual property enforcement treaty being negotiated by the United States, the European Community, Switzerland, and Japan, with Australia, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Mexico, Jordan, Morocco, Singapore, the United Arab Emirates, and Canada recently announcing that they will join in as well.
Why should you care about ACTA? Initial reports indicate that the treaty will have a very broad scope and will involve new tools targeting “Internet distribution and information technology.”
What is the goal of ACTA? Reportedly the goal is to create new legal standards of intellectual property enforcement, as well as increased international cooperation, an example of which would be an increase in information sharing between signatory countries’ law enforcement agencies.
Essential ACTA Resources -
- Read more about ACTA here: ACTA Fact Sheet
- Read the authentic version of the ACTA text as of 15 April 2011, as finalized by participating countries here: ACTA Finalized Text
- Follow the history of the treaty’s formation here: ACTA history
- Read letters from U.S. Senator Ron Wyden wherein he challenges the constitutionality of ACTA: Letter 1 | Letter 2 | Read the Administration’s Response to Wyden’s First Letter here: Response
- Watch a short informative video on ACTA: ACTA Video
- Watch a lulzy video on ACTA: Lulzy Video
- Reuters: ACTA signed in Tokyo: Article
- United States ACTA: Read
- European Union Trade Commission ACTA: Read
- Australian Gov’t ACTA: Read
- Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic: Read
- ACTA Undermines Access to Medicines: Article
Say NO to ACTA. It is essential to spread awareness and get the word out on ACTA.
I grew up on the internet, teaching myself several programming languages, some of which require the utmost attention to detail. I have the experience to know well enough that if SOPA or PIPA pass, it will send our country’s economy and our own future into a free-fall.
We have already suffered enough through this recession, and it is time we let go and let the internet be as it always has been: Free.
No, I’m not saying you should let piracy run rampant. As someone with a strong technical expertise of the internet, SOPA and PIPA literally have the ability to send our internet back into the dark ages, along with our society. Almost ALL of us our connected to each other in some way, whether it be through cellular phones or computers.
If you want to curb piracy, members of congress must convene together without secrecy, and the people of this country MUST be involved with a decision as large as this. As you can tell, the people of our this country are against SOPA and PIPA, because we all know it’s wrong.
I question if piracy is even an issue here. I think the true answers lie with the MPAA and the other companies that now control our entertainment industry. These organizations should either be restructured or dismantled. If a restructuring is to occur, then it must represent the American people positively, for it is our duty to make the world a better place.
Please help us steer our world in a positive direction.
Randy Christian Lee